HD VOICE BASIC INFORMATION & BENEFITS
What is HD Voice?
HD Voice is a service enabled by VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology. VoLTE delivers voice calls over the 4G LTE network rather than the traditional voice network, providing clearer, more natural sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network. HD Voice also includes additional benefits such as:
- Simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data-Allows customers connected to the NorthwestCell 4G LTE network to surf the web, continue a download, use an application, or use a feature while talking on a call.
- Video Calling on Android Devices (if capable), a feature that allows an HD Voice call combined with real-time video. The voice portion is billed as a voice call and the video portion is billed as data, according to your plan. Data charges do not apply if the call is transmitted over Wi-Fi. An average 1-minute video call uses about 6-8 MB of data. The actual data consumption of your video call may vary. This feature is not compatible with Apple iPhone.
- 6 Way Calling (with 3 Way Calling Feature)
HD Voice service is included at no additional charge and is available on most plans at NorthwestCell. When you purchase a capable device, HD Voice is automatically added to your account and ready for you to use. HD Voice calls are billed as voice minutes, according to your plan. VoLTE is not supported for Advance Pay customers at this time.
Below is a list of devices that have HD voice capability today, which will be updated as new devices are capable on the NorthwestCell 4G network.
iPhone 6s iPhone 6s Plus iPhone 7 iPhone 7 Plus iPhone 8 iPhone 8 Plus iPhone X iPhone Xs iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR iPhone 11 iPhone 11 Pro iPhone 11 Pro Max iPhone SE (1st & 2nd Generation) iPhone 12 mini iPhone 12
iPhone 12 Pro iPhone 12 Pro Max
K31 K51 Stylo 6 Wine 2 LTE
Moto E6 Moto G6 Play Moto G7 Power Moto G8 Power
Galaxy A10e Galaxy A11 Galaxy A20 Galaxy A21 Galaxy A50
Galaxy S9 Galaxy S9+ Galaxy S10e Galaxy S10 Galaxy S10+ Galaxy S20 Galaxy S20+ Galaxy S20 Ultra Galaxy S20 FE
Galaxy S21 Galaxy S21+ Galaxy S21 Ultra
Galaxy Note9 Galaxy Note10 Galaxy Note10+ Galaxy Note20 Galaxy Note20 Ultra
HD VOICE FAQ’S
Why can't I make an HD Voice call?
If you unable to make or receive an HD Voice call, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- HD Voice is not activated on the line that you are calling
- VoLTE is set to off on your phone or on the phone you are calling
- Either you or the person you are calling is not using an HD Voice-capable phone at the time of the call
- Either your phone or the phone you are calling is not connected to the NorthwestCell 4G LTE network at the time of the call
Will my HD Voice call handoff automatically when I move outside the home coverage area?
If you travel from the NorthwestCell home coverage area into other areas, more than likely there will be a soft handoff, which means you will not experience a dropped call. Dropped calls are possible is some areas.
Will my call handoff between the 3G network and 4G LTE network with HD Voice?
No, calls will not switch between 3G and 4G LTE networks. If your call starts on the 3G network and you move to a 4G LTE coverage area, your call will continue as a 3G/CDMA call. However, if your call starts on the 4G LTE network and you move to a non-4G LTE coverage area, your call will drop.
Please contact us at 1-800-331-6341 if you have questions regarding NorthwestCell’s HD Voice Service.